Error creating a DAG without AAP in Exchange Server 2013 SP1

Share this:

In this post we are going over the error “Some or all identity references could not be translated” or “A server-side administrative operation has failed. ‘GetDagNetworkConfig’failed on the server. Error: The NetworkManager has not yet been initialized. Check the event logs to determine the cause. [Server: xxx”]” when creating a new DAG without AAP in Exchange Server 2013 SP1.

Solution


The new capability on Exchange Server 2013 to create DAG that do not rely on Active Directory is great and reduces a lot the complexity to manage and operate the system.

However, in one of my labs I was getting the following error message and I have done the same process without any issues.

exchange-error

So, I thought was a configuration issue and started the regular troubleshooting process: Even Viewer, DAG Tasks (C:ExchangeSetupLogsDagTasks) and RIEN. In the the logs of DagTasks I always got a message similar to this one and nothing else:

Update Progress ‘Successfully update the membership of server ‘TOREX01’ in Active Directory group ‘DAG’.’ 17%

 

After struggling a lot on the issue I asked the help of Microsoft folks (Thanks Scott Schnool and Jared Van Leeuen) and they pointed me out to the problem: I was using a disjoint namespace and that is an issue on the current release.

To be honest, at first glance I thought I wasn’t using a disjoint name space, because my FQDN was apatricio.local and all DNS was using that same name however my NETBios was PATRICIO instead of APATRICIO which qualified my environment as disjoint name space. Yeah, I know that was a layer 8 issue in the OSI Model  (human error :) ) but lesson learnt and XP+ points for next time.

 

In Jared’s thread below there is a link, but I would like to point out the link here about Disjoint namespace scenarios: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb676377(v=exchg.150).aspx

If you do have a disjoint domain namespace, then you should use solution proposed by Jared Van Leeuen on this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/202b2c67-3b02-4d9f-835a-f095b95528e5/error-while-adding-member-to-the-dag-in-exchange-2013-sp1?forum=exchangesvravailabilityandisasterrecovery

Conclusion


The error described in this post is known issue in the current release (Exchange Server 2013 SP1) and the workaround is to use Jared’s suggestion on the post. If you don’t have a disjoint namespace scenario then the process should work just fine.

Written by Anderson Patricio

Anderson Patricio

Anderson Patricio is a Canadian MVP in Cloud and Datacenter Management, and Office Server and Services, besides the Microsoft Award he also holds a Solutions Master (MCSM) in Exchange and several other certifications. Anderson has been contributing to the Microsoft Community with articles, tutorials, blog posts, twitter, forums and book reviews. He is a regular contributor here at ITPROCentral.com, MSExchange.org, Techgenix.com and Anderson Patricio.org (Portuguese).

Related Post

Managing DAG: Configuring Network Adapters In this Tutorial we are going over the process to configure the network adapters for any given DAG member and it is a good practice to perform such co...
Error MaxWebConfigFileSizeInKB when installing Exc... During Exchange Server 2013 Cumulative Update 10 in a new server the administrator may get an error related to MaxWebConfigFileSizeInKB during the Rea...
How to Export Recoverable Deleted Items and Purges... Hi there folks! In some situation during regular operations an user deletes something and the Operations/Exchange Admin has to work on the issue to r...
Managing DAG: Modifying a DAG Witness Server In the previous post we went over the process to configure a Witness Server and on this post we are planning to move the DAG Witness Server to a diffe...